Monday 31 May 2010

Lessons learnt


Lesson 1:
I could have timed it better. The week when my pre-event press release went out was the election week and therefore there was zero percent probability that my press release would be published. The fact the Behind the Spin magazine accepted my press release was more due to luck than strategic thinking.

Lesson 2:
I should have definitely chosen a week in April and definitely no later than the first Monday of May (it had to be a Monday as we have classes every other day of the week at the university) and Friday is no good for such events.

Lesson 3:
I should have prepared a contingency plan in case one or more of the agencies/candidates has not shown up. As it happened at the event, I had one student stranded in Barcelona due to ash cloud flight cancellations, one student refusing to attend the contest due to the pressure from the exam and one student just did not turn up. If I was to conduct the same event again, I would prepare a waiting list of the students who haven’t been chosen for the contest but could be called in for the competition in case of a cancellation. The same applies to the agencies.

Lesson 4:
Refreshments should arrive not at the break but half an hour before the event itself.

Lesson 5:
None of the logistics arrangements (i.e. printing and goodie bags) should be left until the day of the competition but at least two or three days beforehand.

Lesson 6:
I should have asked a friend of mine or someone, I could rely on, to be on call and be able to be a distant assistant in case of an emergency. In this particular instance I did not need it but I am sure this would be of great help especially considering that as a chair you hardly ever have any time to sort things out. You have to carry on facilitating the event.

Lesson 7:
I know this was only an internship contest but about a week before the event I realized that I should invite a music band to perform at the reception as it would create a special atmosphere at the reception. As a matter of fact, my Facebook search has generated some interest: I have been approached by Erika at Just Groove Live who offered their services for free but it was too late. Next time I should start looking for a band from the moment I have the event idea.

2 comments:

  1. I still think you did an amazing job!

    I think your point about having a friend act as an assistant would have been a very good idea, because I can imagine organising events can be extremely stressful.

    Kagem Tibaijuka
    Founder of vox-popPRcareers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've done your homework and is far from being compacent. Congratulations on perfoming such a wonderful event!

    ReplyDelete